[Python-Dev] support of the android platform

Xavier de Gaye xdegaye at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 16:22:56 EDT 2016

On 04/25/2016 04:36 PM, Eric Snow wrote:
 > On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 1:20 AM, Xavier de Gaye <xdegaye at gmail.com> wrote:
 >> Starting with API level 21 (Android 5.0), the build of python3 with the
 >> official android toolchains (that is, without resorting to external
 >> libraries
 >> for wide character support) runs correctly.  With the set of patches
 >> described
 >> in the patches/Makefile file at [1], the cpython test suite runs[2] on the
 >> android x86 and armv7 emulators with only few errors[3].  Those errors are
 >> listed with their corresponding error messages, this may give a raw idea of
 >> the effort needed to support this platform.
 >
 > How does this relate to http://bugs.python.org/issue23496?

The patches in issue 23496 address the native compilation of Android 4.4.2 on
an android device using a port of gcc on this device.  Some of these patches
are not needed anymore on Android 5.0 and it seems that the kbox_fix.patch is
needed because the KBOX application is used to build python in issue 23496.

The existing issues that are relevant to the android platform are, I think:
     issue #26723: Add an option to skip _decimal module
     issue #22747: Interpreter fails in initialize on systems where
                   HAVE_LANGINFO_H is undefined
     issue #16353: add function to os module for getting path to default shell
     issue #20306: Lack of pw_gecos field in Android's struct passwd causes
                   cross-compilation for the pwd module to fail

Xavier