[Python-Dev] Discussion on fspath: please wait for a PEP

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 07:52:22 EDT 2016

Hi,

I'm unable to count the number of threads about the fspath protocol.
It's even more difficult to count the total number of emails. IMHO
everyone had enough time to give him/her opinion. We even had multiple
summaries :-)

Can you please wait for a PEP? Brett Canon and Ethan Furman are
working on a PEP. So please give them time to write it.

The PEP should summarize the discussion and help a lot to make
concrete progress on the design (avoid restarting to discuss the same
points forever). I don't expect that more emails would add anything at
the current state of the discussion.

I think that we have enough other topics to discuss in the meanwhile ;-)

FYI there is already an article about fspath/pathlib on LWN. Here is a
free link until the article is freely accessible:

"Python looks at paths" By Jake Edge (April 13, 2016)
https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/683350/4f52334af09653c8/

Victor