[Python-Dev] RFC: PEP 509: Add a private version to dict

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Thu Apr 14 16:34:28 EDT 2016

Victor Stinner schrieb am 14.04.2016 um 21:56:
> Which kind of usage do you see in Cython?

Mainly caching, I guess. We could avoid global/module name lookups in some
cases, especially inside of loops.

> Off-topic (PEP 510):
>
> I really want to experiment automatic generation of Cython code from the
> Python using profiling to discover function parameters types. Then use the
> PEP 510 to attach the fast Cython code to a Python function, but fallback
> to bytecode if the types are different. See the example of builtin
> functions in the PEP:
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0510/#using-builtin-function
>
> Before having something fully automated, we can use some manual steps, like
> annotate manually function types, compile manually the code, etc.

Sounds like Cython's "Fused Types" could help here:

http://docs.cython.org/src/userguide/fusedtypes.html

It's essentially a generic functions implementation and you get a dispatch
either at compile time or runtime, depending on where (Python/Cython) and
how you call a function.

Stefan