[Python-Dev] Most 3.x buildbots are green again, please don't break them and watch them!

Serhiy Storchaka storchaka at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 05:15:01 EDT 2016

On 13.04.16 14:40, Victor Stinner wrote:
> Last months, most 3.x buildbots failed randomly. Some of them were
> always failing. I spent some time to fix almost all Windows and Linux
> buildbots. There were a lot of different issues.

Excelent! Many thanks for doing this. And new features of regrtest look
nice.

> So please try to not break buildbots again and remind to watch them sometimes:
>
>    http://buildbot.python.org/all/waterfall?category=3.x.stable&category=3.x.unstable

A desirable but nonexistent feature is to write emails to authors of
commits that broke buildbots. How hard to implement this?

> Next weeks, I will try to backport some fixes to Python 3.5 (if
> needed) to make these buildbots more stable too.
>
> Python 2.7 buildbots are also in a sad state (ex: test_marshal
> segfaults on Windows, see issue #25264). But it's not easy to get a
> Windows with the right compiler to develop on Python 2.7 on Windows.

What are you think about backporting recent regrtest to 2.7? Most needed
features to me are the -m and -G options.

> Maybe it's time to move more 3.x buildbots to the "stable" category?
> http://buildbot.python.org/all/waterfall?category=3.x.stable

+1

> By the way, I don't understand why "AMD64 OpenIndiana 3.x" is
> considered as stable since it's failing with multiple issues since
> many months and nobody is working on these failures. I suggest to move
> this buildbot back to the unstable category.

I think the main cause is the lack of memory in this buildbot. I tried
to minimize memory consumption and leaks, but some leaks are left, and
they provoke other tests failures, and additional resource leaks. Would
be nice to add a feature for running every test in separate subprocess.
This will isolate the effect of failed tests.