[Python-Dev] pathlib - current status of discussions

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue Apr 12 12:40:00 EDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 9:32 AM, Koos Zevenhoven <k7hoven at gmail.com> wrote:

> > 1) A "proper" path object -- i.e. pathlib.Path or anything else that
> > supports the path protocol.
> >
> > 2) the bytes that the OS actually needs.
> >

> You do have a point there. But since bytes pathnames are deprecated on
> windows,

Ah -- there's the fatal flaw -- even Windows needs bytes at the lowest
level, but the decision was already made there to use str as the the
lingua-franca -- i.e. the user NEVER sees a path as a bytestring on
Windows? I guess that's decided then. str is the exchange format.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov