[Python-Dev] Challenge: Please break this! (a.k.a restricted mode revisited)

Jon Ribbens jon+python-dev at unequivocal.co.uk
Tue Apr 12 07:14:45 EDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 06:21:04AM -0400, Isaac Morland wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2016, Jon Ribbens wrote:
> >>This is still a massive game of whack-a-mole.
> >
> >No, it still isn't. If the names blacklist had to keep being extended
> >then you would be right, but that hasn't happened so far. Whitelists
> >by definition contain only a small, limited number of potential moles.
> >
> >The only thing you found above that even remotely approaches an
> >exploit is the decimal.getcontext() thing, and even that I don't
> >think you could use to do any code execution.
>
> "I don't think"?
>
> Where's the formal proof?

I disallowed the module completely, that's the proof.

> Without a proof, this is indeed just a game of whack-a-mole.

Almost no computer programs are ever "formally proved" to be secure.
None of those that run the global Internet are. I don't see why it
makes any sense to demand that my experiment be held to a massively
higher standard than the rest of the code everyone relies on every day.