[Python-Dev] Maybe, just maybe, pathlib doesn't belong.

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Mon Apr 11 17:15:02 EDT 2016

On 04/11/2016 02:04 PM, Sven R. Kunze wrote:
> On 11.04.2016 22:55, Alexander Walters wrote:

>> Every conceivable way to fix pathlib have already been argued. Are any
>> of them worth doing?  Can we get consensus enough to implement one of
>> them?  If not, we should consider either dropping the matter or
>> dropping the module.
>
> Right now, I don't see pathlib removed. Why? Because using strings alone
> has its caveats (we all know that). So, I cannot imagine an alternative
> concept to pathlib right now. We might call it differently, but the
> concept stays unchanged.

We've pretty decided that we have two options:

1. remove pathlib
2. make the stdlib work with pathlib

So we're trying to make option 2 work before falling back to option 1.

If you have a way to make pathlib work with the stdlib that doesn't
involve "fixing" os and os.path, now is the time to speak up.

--
~Ethan~