[Python-Dev] Pathlib enhancments - method name only

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Sun Apr 10 11:50:24 EDT 2016

> On Apr 10, 2016, at 2:43 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This does raise a concrete API design question: how should
> PurePath.__fspath__ behave when called on a mismatched OS?

I think that PurePath.__fspath__ should return a string. There’s no
reason why we can’t in my opinion and doing so just limits the usefulness
of the method. For instance, it’d prevent it from being possible to
serialize a pure windows path and send it over the wire to a process running
on a Windows machine, like say if you have a build master running on Linux
and a build slave running on Windows.

Donald Stufft