[Python-Dev] Pathlib enhancments - method name only

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Fri Apr 8 19:09:13 EDT 2016

On 4/8/2016 3:28 PM, Eric Snow wrote:
> All this matters because it impacts the value returned from
> __ospath__().  Should it return the string representation of the path
> for the current OS or some standardized representation?  I'd expect
> the former.  However, if that is the expectation then something like
> pathlib.PureWindowsPath will give you the wrong thing if your current
> OS is linux.  pathlib.PureWindowsPath.__ospath__() would have to fail
> or first internally convert to pathlib.PurePosixPath?
Now that Windows 10++ will run Ubuntu apps, will Python be able to tell
the difference for when it should return Windows-format paths and
Posix-format paths?

(I'm sure the answer is yes, the Python-for-Ubuntu running on Windows
would do the latter, and the Python-for-Windows would do the former.
Although, it is not clear what sys.platform will return, yet...)