[Python-Dev] Other pathlib improvements? was: When should pathlib stop being provisional?

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Thu Apr 7 13:02:11 EDT 2016

Le 07/04/2016 16:40, Eric Snow a écrit :

> On Apr 6, 2016 11:11 PM, "Raymond Hettinger"
> <raymond.hettinger at gmail.com <mailto:raymond.hettinger at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> Having worked through the API when it is first released, I find it to
> be highly forgettable (i.e. I have to re-read the docs each time I've
> revisited it).
>
> Agreed, though it's arguably better than argparse, logging, unittest, or
> several other stdlib modules.  To some extent the challenge with those
> is the complexity of the problem space.  Furthermore, the key for any
> sufficiently complex module is that the common-case usage is intuitive
> and simple enough.

This is terribly unspecific as far as criticism goes. "Highly
forgettable" depends on who you ask.  I tend to find unittest and
logging quite useful myself, even if I have to look at the docs from
time to time (and I'm certainly not the only one).

I don't think you'll find an API that doesn't need any learning or
getting used, unless it's simply copying another API.
os.path() is extremely forgettable as well, but after years of getting
used people may feel it's "natural".  Put Python in the hands of a
non-Python programmer, they will find many things bizarre and
uncomfortable compared to their language of choice...

Regards

Antoine.