[Python-Dev] Other pathlib improvements? was: When should pathlib stop being provisional?

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 10:40:37 EDT 2016

On Apr 6, 2016 11:11 PM, "Raymond Hettinger" <raymond.hettinger at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Having worked through the API when it is first released, I find it to be
highly forgettable (i.e. I have to re-read the docs each time I've
revisited it).

Agreed, though it's arguably better than argparse, logging, unittest, or
several other stdlib modules.  To some extent the challenge with those is
the complexity of the problem space.  Furthermore, the key for any
sufficiently complex module is that the common-case usage is intuitive and
simple enough.  Some stdlib modules do a better job of that than others.
:/  How much would you say that any of that applies to pathlib?  What about
relative to other similar packages on the cheeseshop?

Regardless, are there any specific improvements you'd recommend while the
module is still provisional?  Are your concerns a matter of structure vs.
naming?  Usability vs. (intuitive) discoverability?

-eric