[Python-Dev] pathlib (was: Defining a path protocol)

Jim J. Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 10:25:43 EDT 2016

(1)  I think the "built-in" should instead be a module-level function
in the pathlib.  If you aren't already expecting pathlib paths, then
you're just expecting strings to work anyhow, and a builtin isn't
likely to be helpful.

(2)  I prefer that the function be explicit about the fact that it is
downcasting the representation to a string.  e.g.,
pathlib.path_as_string(my_path)

But if the final result is ospath or fspath or ... I won't fight too
hard, particularly since the output may be a bytestring rather than a
str.

-jJ