[Python-Dev] Defining a path protocol

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Wed Apr 6 19:27:13 EDT 2016

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Gregory P. Smith <greg at krypto.org> wrote:
> Note: While I do not object to the bike shed colors being proposed, if you
> call the attribute .__path__ that is somewhat confusing when thinking about
> the import system which declares that "any module that contains a __path__
> attribute is considered a package".

To me this observation seems to rule out __path__ as an option: even
if they wouldn't clash in practice, then right now googling __path__
sends you straight to the import system documentation. If we overload
the meaning of the string then it'll make a mess of the
trying-to-figure-out-what-this-__thing__-is experience.

-n