[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] cpython: Python 8: no pep8, no chocolate!

Ned Deily nad at python.org
Fri Apr 1 16:16:28 EDT 2016

On Apr 1, 2016, at 14:07, Brett Cannon <brett at snarky.ca> wrote:
> Are you planning on removing this after today? My worry about leaving it in is if it's a modified copy that follows your Python 8 April Fools joke then it will quite possibly trip people up who try and run pep8 but don't have it installed, leading them to wonder why the heck their imports are now all flagged as broken.
>
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 at 14:40 victor.stinner <python-checkins at python.org> wrote:
> https://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/9aedec2dbc01
> changeset:   100818:9aedec2dbc01
> user:        Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com>
> date:        Thu Mar 31 23:30:53 2016 +0200
> summary:
>   Python 8: no pep8, no chocolate!
>
> files:
>   Include/patchlevel.h |     6 +-
>   Lib/pep8.py          |  2151 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>   Lib/site.py          |    56 +
>   3 files changed, 2210 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)
[...]

It has already been removed, a few hours after it was pushed, since it broke all of the 3x buidbots, and would have confused and/or added extra work to anyone trying to build or push changes.

On behalf of my fellow release managers, may I suggest that, in the future, if anyone feels the urge to check something like this in to the live cpython repository, please resist that urge? :)  A patch would be just as amusing without the need to use the soft cushion or the comfy chair.

Inquisitorly yours,
--Ned

--
  Ned Deily