[Python-Dev] Committing a bug fix

Martin Panter vadmium+py at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 01:05:29 CEST 2015

On 28 September 2015 at 22:31, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> . . . it may have merged in the wrong place, such as putting a things into the
> 3.5.1 section of 3.6 NEWS, which should not be there.

Since you mentioned this and I also noticed this, can I ask why the
3.5.1 section is there, if it isn’t meant to be? There are also other
sections, going back to 3.4.0. They have been there for a while. Is it
just that nobody removed it when it was inherited from 3.5 and 3.4?
When I have merged bug fixes into the default 3.6 branch I have
sometimes let the NEWS entries be automatically be merged into the
3.5.1 section, without updating the 3.6.0 section, after I noticed
other people doing this.

Perhaps we should get rid of the old pre-3.6 sections (perhaps after
adding any missing entries to the 3.6 section)? Otherwise I imagine
some release manager might come along and chop them all out without
adding anything to the 3.6 section.