[Python-Dev] PEP 495 accepted

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 22:08:29 CEST 2015

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 3:32 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> it is broken, due to the confusion about classic vs. timeline arithmetic
> -- these have different needs but there's only one > operator.

I feel silly trying to defend a design against its author. :-)  Yes, a
language with more than one > symbol would not have some of these
problems.  Similarly a language with a special symbol for string catenation
would not have a non-commutative + and non-distributive *.  All I am saying
is that I can live with the choices made in datetime.