[Python-Dev] PEP: Collecting information about git

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 11:59:28 CEST 2015

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 7:46 PM, Oleg Broytman <phd at phdru.name> wrote:
> For example, I develop
> SQLObject using two private clones (clean backup repo and dirty working
> repo) and three public clones at Gitlab, GutHub and SourceForge. They
> are all equal, none of them is the upstream. I don't even have
> ``origin`` remote - the origin was in Subversion.

Right. And even when you do have an 'origin' remote, you can pull from
anywhere else. (Internet connection's down? Pull from one computer
straight to another over the LAN. Want to quickly compare two messy
branches, without letting anyone else see them yet? Pull one of them
onto the other computer and poke around with fred/master and master.
Etcetera.) Deployment on Heroku can be done by setting up a remote and
then "git push heroku master". Does that make those commits
uneditable, or does "git push origin master" do that? I like the way
git lets you shoot yourself in the foot if you want to, while warning
you "your gun is currently pointing near your foot, please use --force
or --force-with-lease to pull the trigger".

But this is a bit off-topic for python-dev.

ChrisA