[Python-Dev] PEP 495 Was: PEP 498: Literal String Interpolation is ready for pronouncement

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 04:43:32 CEST 2015

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 10:00 PM, Random832 <random832 at fastmail.com> wrote:

> The current datetime rules, such as they are, as far as I am aware,
> order all aware datetimes (except spring-forward) according to the UTC
> moment they map to.

No.  See the library reference manual: "If both comparands are aware, and
have the same tzinfo attribute, the common tzinfo attribute is ignored and
the base datetimes are compared." <
https://docs.python.org/3/library/datetime.html>

The reasons for this have been explained at length in the recent
Datetime-SIG discussions.  Please check the archives if you are interested:
<https://mail.python.org/pipermail/datetime-sig/2015-August/000169.html>.