[Python-Dev] PEP acceptance and SIGs

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Oct 1 03:55:11 CEST 2015

On Sep 30, 2015, at 09:14 PM, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:

>When I faced a similar situation with PEP 495, Guido's advise was "I think
>that a courtesy message to python-dev is appropriate, with a link to the
>PEP and an invitation to discuss its merits on datetime-sig." [1]

Certainly Discussions-To PEPs can be discussed and resolved on mailing lists
other than python-dev, and the Resolution header must be set to the URL of the
message in that other list that resolves the PEP.  A courtesy email to
python-dev should go out for all such PEPs, both before resolution (e.g. "hey
we're discussing PEP 4000 over on py-in-the-sky-thon at python.org") and after.

I do think Standards-Track PEPs (i.e. those that change the language or
stdlib) must be discussed and/or posted on python-dev prior to resolution.

Cheers,
-Barry