[Python-Dev] Request for pronouncement on PEP 493 (HTTPS verification backport guidance)

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Nov 24 10:04:08 EST 2015

I think the PEP is a good step forward to compromise between
the crypto purists (use whatever technologies makes us more
secure even if it breaks things) and those who cannot upgrade
their Python 2.7 because of the PEP 476 change, since it causes their
applications to fail (e.g. because the embedded devices they want to
interface to only support self signed certs).

I would still find having built-in support for the recommendations
in the Python stdlib a better approach, but PEP 493 is good enough
in at least solving real problems people are having.

PS: Would be great to have a PyPI package which implements these
recommendations so that you can simply add it as dependency - and
then please for Python 3 as well, since people with embedded
devices will want to be able to use Python 3 as well ;-)