[Python-Dev] Support of UTF-16 and UTF-32 source encodings

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sun Nov 15 15:38:45 EST 2015

On 14.11.2015 23:56, Victor Stinner wrote:
> These encodings are rarely used. I don't think that any text editor use
> them. Editors use ascii, latin1, utf8 and... all locale encoding. But I
> don't know any OS using UTF-16 as a locale encoding. UTF-32 wastes disk
> space.

UTF-16 is used a lot for Windows text files, e.g. Unicode
CSV files (the save as "Unicode text file" option writes
UTF-16).

However, nowadays, all text editors also support UTF-8 and
many of these recognize the UTF-8 BOM as identifier to detect
Unicode text files.

> Ok, even if it exists, Python already accepts a very wide range of
> encoding. It is not worth to make the parser much more complex just to
> support encodings which are also never used (for .py files).

Agreed. In Python 2 we decided to only allow ASCII super-sets
for Python source files, which out ruled multi-byte encodings
such as UTF-16 and -32. I don't think we need to make the parser
more complex just to support them. UTF-8 works fine as Python
source code encoding.