[Python-Dev] 2.7 is here until 2020, please don't call it a waste.

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat May 30 17:42:19 CEST 2015

On May 30, 2015, at 06:55 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

>Intel are looking to get involved in CPython core development
>*specifically* to work on performance improvements, so it's important
>to offer folks in the community good reasons for why we're OK with
>seeing at least some of that work applied to Python 2, rather than
>restricting their contributions to Python 3.

I think that's fine, for all the reasons you, Toshio, and others mention.  For
better or worse, Python 2.7 *is* our LTS release so I think we can make life
easier for the folks stuck on it <wink>.

However, I want us to be very careful not to accept performance improvements
in Python 2.7 that haven't also been applied to Python 3, unless of course
they aren't relevant.  Python 3 also has a need for performance improvements,
perhaps more so for various reasons, so let's make sure we're pushing that
forward too.

In many cases where you have a long lived stable release and active
development releases, it's generally the policy that fixes show up in the dev
release first.  At least, this is the case with Ubuntu and SRUs, and it makes
a lot of sense.

Cheers,
-Barry