[Python-Dev] Usability of the limited API

Steve Dower Steve.Dower at microsoft.com
Thu May 28 16:28:55 CEST 2015

Zach has a patch to automate putting the right exports in python3.dll, which I'm strongly in favor of, but it was rejected because people may have added APIs that aren't meant to be stable.

Right now, you can #include a number of prototypes that aren't actually available because there are two places to update and so one (in this case, the DLL) doesn't get updated.

I think the current plan is to remove everything not currently in the DLL from the stable ABI and force people to add them back manually. This way we can enable the generator without committing to a large set of new APIs.

I don't have the issue number handy, but it should be near the top of the recently modified list.

Cheers,
Steve

Top-posted from my Windows Phone