[Python-Dev] Computed Goto dispatch for Python 2

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Thu May 28 07:46:59 CEST 2015

Why now?  We intentionally decided not to do this for 2.7 in the past
because it was too late for the release cutoff.

Has anyone benchmarked compiling python in profile-opt mode vs having the
computed goto patch?  I'd *expect* the benefits to be the roughly the same.
Has this been compared to that?  (Anyone not compiling their Python
interpreter in profile-opt mode is doing themselves a major disservice.)

Does it shows noteworthy improvements even when used with a profile-opt
build using a PROFILE_TASK of regrtest.py with the same test exclusion list
as the debian python2.7 package?

Could you please rerun benchmarks including the profile-opt build with and
without the patch for comparsion.

-gps

PS I recommend attaching the up to date patch against 2.7.10 to issue4753.
That is where anyone will go looking for it, not buried in a mailing list
archive.