[Python-Dev] Preserving the definition order of class namespaces.

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Mon May 25 21:40:11 CEST 2015

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 1:33 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 23 May 2015 20:14:56 -0700
> Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org> wrote:
>> Yeah, I'm willing to grant the feature freeze exception, assuming he can
>> find general approval from the community (and assuming he still has
>> Guido's blessing).  I just wanted a little more sunlight on the topic,
>> rather than rushing to check it in.
>
> Given the pain that has gone into making the patch segfault- and
> reference leak-free, and given it adds a lot of complication in the
> data types area, I'm frankly uneasy with having this land after the
> feature freeze. It's a sure recipe to *add* instability rather than
> remove it.

Well, the exception for C OrderedDict itself is a separate matter.  I
chose to be more public than I could have been about the last
remaining bugs in the interest of getting them resolved a bit faster.
At this point I wouldn't consider C OrderedDict to add a whole lot of
risk to 3.5.

That said, at this point landing it in 3.5 it doesn't matter to me
much because my main motivator (__definition_order__) isn't landing in
3.5.  The fact that 3.6 is already open to new features eases the
sting a bit.  I'd still prefer to land OrdereDict-by-default class
definition namespaces in 3.5, which is dependent on C OrderedDict, but
alone that isn't as important to me for 3.5 as
cls.__definition_order__ was.

Regardless, I know there were a few folks (e.g. Yury) that wanted to
see C OrderedDict in 3.5 and there may be others that would really
like OrderedDict-by-default in 3.5 (Nick?).  Since Larry already gave
an exception, I'd still be glad to land both in 3.5 if Yury (or
others) wants to make that case.  The patches will be ready.

-eric