[Python-Dev] Automated testing of patches from bugs.python.org

Kushal Das kushaldas at gmail.com
Tue May 19 18:53:15 CEST 2015

On 19/05/15, Berker Peksağ wrote:
> On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 6:02 PM, Kushal Das <kushaldas at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > With the help of CentOS project I am happy to announce an automated
> > system [1] to test patches from bugs.python.org. This can be fully automated
> > to test the patches whenever someone uploads a patch in the roundup, but
> > for now it accepts IRC commands on #python-dev channel. I worked on a
> > docker based prototype during sprints in PyCon.
> >
> > How to use it?
> > ---------------
> >
> > 1. Join #python-dev on irc.freenode.net.
> > 2. Ask for test privilege  from any one of kushal,Taggnostr,bitdancer
> > 3. They will issue a simple command. #add: YOUR_NICK_NAME
> > 4. You can then test by issuing the following command in the channel:
> >
> >     #test: BUGNUMBER
> >     like #test: 21271
> >
> > This will do the following:
> > Start a new job on ci.centos.org, announce it on the channel, and
> > announce the result also.
>
> Hi Kushal,
>
> Looks great, thanks! :)
>
> Two comments:
>
> * It would be good to have a pypatcher repository at hg.python.org (at
> least a mirror), so we can work on it together without dealing with
> "add me to the repo" messages on GitHub.

We can surely do this. I started with github as generally most people
are already there. Do you know what is the procedure for creating a new
repo in hg.python.org?

> * Do you have a roadmap or a TODO list? For example, I think
> downloading a tarball of the default branch every time (or is it
> cached?) would be a little bit slow. Do you have a plan to make the
> workflow Mercurial based (e.g. "hg pull -u, hg imp --no-c
> issueXXXX.diff, compile" instead of "wget tarball, extract it, apply
> patch, compile")?
I will have to work on the TODO list, I will post it on the repo itself.
The downloading tarball currently takes around 15-16 seconds, which I
found fast enough to start with. I personally always use standard patch
command, that is why I chose this approach instead of hg. We can always
improve the workflow :)

> > I will be working on a minimal lint for patches, and include it
> > the workflow.
>
> Could you give more details about the linter? Can we use
> Tools/scripts/patchcheck.py?
For this I really never thought much. We should discuss more on this to
find out what all we can do.

Kushal
--
Fedora Cloud Engineer