[Python-Dev] How shall we conduct the Python 3.5 beta and rc periods? (Please vote!)

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Tue May 12 21:13:14 CEST 2015

In article <55523ADB.4000508 at hastings.org>,
 Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org> wrote:

> > Will this model be plausibly extensible to every release? For
> > instance, when a 3.5.1 rc is cut, will the 3.5 branch immediately
> > become 3.5.2, with a new 3.5.1 branch being opened on bitbucket?
> Yes, we could always do it that way, though in the past we haven't
> bothered.  Development on previous versions slows down a great deal
> after x.y.1.

Well, we *could*.  But that is hardly worth it as we don't do long-term
maintenance of each maintenance release.  In other words, from a
python-dev perspective, 3.5.1 is dead the moment 3.5.2 goes out the
door; we only maintain the most recent maintenance release of a major
release cycle.  So there is no need for a 3.5.x branch other than
possibly during the typically very short rc cycle of a maintenance
release and even then we usually see at most a couple of rc fixes and
usually none, as expected.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org