[Python-Dev] PEP 492: async/await in Python; version 4

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed May 6 08:46:47 CEST 2015

Paul Moore wrote:
> It would probably be helpful to have a concrete example of a basic
> event loop that did *nothing* but schedule tasks. No IO waiting or
> similar, just scheduling.

Take a look at the example I developed when working
on the yield-from pep:

http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/greg.ewing/python/yield-from/yf_current/Examples/Scheduler/scheduler.txt

The first version of the event loop presented there
does exactly that, just schedules tasks in a round-
robin fashion. Then I gradually add more features
to it.

> Actually, what *is* the minimal event loop
> interface that is needed for the various task/future mechanisms to
> work, independently of asyncio?

I don't it's possible to answer that question,
because there isn't a single answer. The minimal
set of features that an event loop needs depends
on what you want to achieve with it.

Even the notion of "just schedules tasks" is
ambiguous. What does "schedule" mean? Does it
just mean round-robin switching between them, or
should they be able to synchronise with each
other in some way? Should it be possible for a
task to suspend itself for an interval of real
world time, or does that come under the heading
of I/O (since you're waiting for an external
event, i.e. the computer's clock reaching some
time)? Etc.

 > And what features of an event loop etc
 > are needed for the PEP, if it's being used outside of asyncio?)

I don't think *any* particular event loop
features are needed.

You can't pick out any of these features as
being "core". For example, it would be possible
to have an event loop that handled socket I/O
but *didn't* do round-robin scheduling -- it
could just keep on running the same task, even
if it yielded, until it blocked waiting for
an external event. Such a scheduler would
probably be quite adequate for many use cases.

It seems to me that the idea of "generator-based
tasks managed by an event loop" is more of a
design pattern than something you can write a
detailed API specification for.

Another problem with the "core" idea is that
you can't start with an event loop that "just does
scheduling" and then add on other features such
as I/O *from the outside*. There has to be some
point at which everything comes together, which
means choosing something like select() or
poll() or I/O completion queues, and build that
into the heart of your event loop. At that point
it's no longer something with a simple core.

--
Greg