[Python-Dev] --with-valgrind and --enable-shared

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Mar 23 19:23:51 CET 2015

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 19:16:17 +0100
Andrea Griffini <agriff at tin.it> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 7:08 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> >
> > It's not really our place to say if it makes sense for Arch to compile
> > with valgrind flags turned on. It really depends on how they use Python in
> > their Linux distribution and what their own goals are.
> >

> I already asked the package maintainers about this, I just wanted to know
> if my understanding about what --with-valgrind means is correct or if there
> are good reason to turn it on (except debugging Python).

I think your understanding is correct. It's the first time I hear of
Python being compiled --with-valgrind in a Linux distribution.

As for --enable-shared, it's more of a distro policy and isn't unheard
of. The RedHat world (Mageia, etc.) enables it as well. Perhaps it
makes updates easier if there are many installed programs embedding the
Python interpreter.

Regards

Antoine.