[Python-Dev] Google Summer of Code

Jim Baker jim.baker at python.org
Sat Mar 21 21:14:03 CET 2015

Jython plans to participate in the Google Summer of Code for 2015. If you
are interested, I have outlined a number of projects on our ideas page that
students could work on:

   - Work on JyNI, which adds C extension API support to Jython
   - Performance optimizations, including startup time
   - Python bytecode compiler for Python source (must be written in Java!)

See https://github.com/jythontools/gsoc2015 for the ideas page. Pull
requests and comments gladly accepted to expand this list of ideas.

The ideal student must be a very strong Java developer, with an existing
track record of projects on such sites as GitHub and BitBucket. Knowledge
of C and especially of the CPython source code invariably helps. Ideally
you will also become a Jython committer as a result of your intense
participation this summer.

Note that the deadline for student proposals is very soon, Friday March 27.
I apologize we are just getting our participation for GSOC together, but we
have also been busy finalizing the Jython 2.7.0 release candidate.

--
- Jim

jim.baker@{colorado.edu|python.org|rackspace.com|zyasoft.com}
twitter.com/jimbaker