[Python-Dev] libffi embedded in CPython

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 23:55:33 CET 2015

On 11 March 2015 at 22:33, Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com> wrote:
> You're missing my point. Ripping off the libffi from CPython is a good
> idea to start with. Maybe deprecating ctypes is *also* a good idea,
> but it's a separate discussion point. It certainly does not solve the
> libffi problem.

OK, so let's focus on the libffi side of things and ignore deprecating
or replacing ctypes.

I guess I don't see a problem with a proof-of-concept patch to upgrade
the libffi (obviously it's not possible to rely on a "system" libffi
on Windows, but treating it as an external might work). If it passes
all the tests on all platforms, maybe it could be considered.

I don't see how anyone can say "yes, we'll do it" without seeing
evidence that it'll work. But equally, I don't think there's any
reason to say it absolutely wouldn't be accepted regardless of
evidence. So why not prepare a patch for 3.6 (I assume it's too late
to make such a big change for 3.5) and we'll see what happens. Or even
better, prepare a test build of 3.5 or even 3.4 that switches libffi -
people can replace an existing install (I'd be willing to) and test it
in live situations.

But unless someone provides a patch, the status quo will win. At least
until an actual bug that affects live code forces the issue.

Paul