[Python-Dev] PEP 488: elimination of PYO files

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Mar 8 12:54:26 CET 2015

On Mar 07, 2015, at 12:30 PM, Scott Dial wrote:

>As a packager, this PEP is a bit silent on it's expectations about what
>will happen with (for instance) Debian and Fedora packages for Python.
>My familiarity is with Fedora, and on that platform, we ship .pyc and
>.pyo files (using -O for the .pyo). Is it your expectation that such
>platforms will still distribute -O only? Or also -OO? In my world, all
>of the __pycache__ directories are owned by root.

On Debuntu, we don't create pyo files by default, although IIRC it's an
option.  The problem has been the collision between -O and -OO, so this PEP
may open the door to us generating both optimization levels automatically.
It's not something that's very high on my todo list, but if there's enough
interest it probably wouldn't be difficult to add.

Cheers,
-Barry