[Python-Dev] PEP 488: elimination of PYO files

Scott Dial scott+python-dev at scottdial.com
Sat Mar 7 18:30:59 CET 2015

On 2015-03-06 11:34 AM, Brett Cannon wrote:
> This PEP proposes eliminating the concept of PYO files from Python.
> To continue the support of the separation of bytecode files based on
> their optimization level, this PEP proposes extending the PYC file
> name to include the optimization level in bytecode repository
> directory (i.e., the ``__pycache__`` directory).

As a packager, this PEP is a bit silent on it's expectations about what
will happen with (for instance) Debian and Fedora packages for Python.
My familiarity is with Fedora, and on that platform, we ship .pyc and
.pyo files (using -O for the .pyo). Is it your expectation that such
platforms will still distribute -O only? Or also -OO? In my world, all
of the __pycache__ directories are owned by root.

--
Scott Dial
scott at scottdial.com