[Python-Dev] PEP 488: elimination of PYO files

Ron Adam ron3200 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 02:00:20 CET 2015

On 03/06/2015 11:34 AM, Brett Cannon wrote:

> There are currently two open issues, although one is purely a bikeshed
> topic on formatting of file names so I don't really consider it open for
> change from what is proposed in the PEP without Guido saying he hates my
> preference or someone having a really good argument for some alternative.
> The second open issue on the common case file name is something to
> reasonably debate and come to consensus on.
>
> =======================
>
> PEP: 488
> Title: Elimination of PYO files

+1

And...

Have you considered doing this by having different magic numbers in the
.pyc file for standard, -O, and -O0 compiled bytecode files?  Python
already checks that number and recompiles the files if it's not what it's
expected to be.  And it wouldn't require any naming conventions or new
cache directories.  It seems to me it would be much easier to do as well.

Cheers,
    Ron