[Python-Dev] PEP 488: elimination of PYO files

Mark Shannon mark at hotpy.org
Fri Mar 6 19:02:23 CET 2015

On 06/03/15 16:34, Brett Cannon wrote:
> Over on the import-sig I proposed eliminating the concept of .pyo files
> since they only signify that /some/ optimization took place, not
> /what/ optimizations took place. Everyone on the SIG was positive with
> the idea so I wrote a PEP, got positive feedback from the SIG again, and
> so now I present to you PEP 488 for discussion.

[snip]

Historically -O and -OO have been the antithesis of optimisation, they
change the behaviour of the program with no noticeable effect on
performance.
If a change is to be made, why not just drop .pyo files and be done with it?

Any worthwhile optimisation needs to be done at runtime or involve much
more than tweaking bytecode.

Cheers,
Mark.