[Python-Dev] Importance of "async" keyword

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 12:52:43 CEST 2015

On 26 Jun 2015 10:46, "Greg Ewing" <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> Sven R. Kunze wrote:
>> So, we would have to implement things twice for the asyncio world and
the classic world.

> Not exactly; it's possible to create a wrapper that takes an
> async function and runs it to completion, allowing it to be
> called from sync code. I can't remember offhand, but there's
> likely something like this already in asyncio.

https://docs.python.org/3/library/asyncio-eventloop.html#asyncio.BaseEventLoop.run_until_complete

It's also possible to use a more comprehensive synchronous-to-asynchronous
adapter like gevent to call asynchronous code from synchronous code.

Going in the other direction (calling sync code from async) uses a thread
or process pool:
https://docs.python.org/3/library/asyncio-eventloop.html#asyncio.BaseEventLoop.run_in_executor

Cheers,
Nick.