[Python-Dev] Status on PEP-431 Timezones

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue Jul 28 01:24:36 CEST 2015

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 12:47 PM, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:

> To me, Paul's example is a datetime operation: you start with a datetime
>>> (7am today), perform arithmetic on it by adding a period of time (one
>>> day), and get a datetime as the result (7am tomorrow).
>>>

>> Well, OK, let's propose these wordings: It looks like a date
>> operation, ie, add one to the date, but in reality it's a time
>> operation, ie add 86400 seconds to the time. These things sound
>> similar but are very different.
>>

> I have to disagree.  If I have my alarm at 7am (localtime ;) so I can be
> at work at 8am I don't care exactly how many seconds have passed, that
> alarm better go off at 7am local time.

sure, but that is very much a Calendar operation -- "7am tomorrow", On the
other hand, if you wanted to sleep a particular length of time,t hen you
might want your alarm to go off "in 8 hours" -- that is a different
operation.

Calendar operations are very, very useful, but not on the table in this
discussion, are they?

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov