[Python-Dev] Building python 2.7.10 for Windows from source

Mark Kelley keeely3 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 12:50:08 CEST 2015

I have been using Python for some time but it's been a decade since
I've tried to build it from source, back in the 2.4 days.  Things seem
to have gotten a little more complicated now.

I've read through the PCBuild/README file and got most stuff
compiling.  I find it a little odd that there are special instructions
for the building the release version of tcl/tk.  Is that what the
developers actually do when they cut a release, or is there some
other, top-level script that does this automatically? It just seems
odd.

Anyhow, my specific question is around the distutils wininst stubs,
provided as binaries in the release tarball.  Where can I find the
source files that those binaries are built from?

Many thanks,
Mark.