[Python-Dev] GetFinalPathNameByHandleW - what is the minimum windows version python-3.5 will support ?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jul 19 20:31:38 CEST 2015

On 7/19/2015 9:51 AM, Tim Golden wrote:

> On 19/07/2015 13:10, Vitaly Murashev wrote:
>> I've just found out that that on Windows internal implementation of
>> python35.dll in posixmodule.c
>> uses winapi function GetFinalPathNameByHandleW
>>
>> By the way from MSDN:
>> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa364962%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
>>

>> Minimum supported client
>>    Windows Vista [desktop apps only]
>>
>> Minimum supported server
>>    Windows Server 2008 [desktop apps only]
>>
>> Does it mean, that Python-3.5 doesn't support any windows versions prior
>> "Windows Vista" and "Windows Server 2008" ?

There was a similar question on python-list about 3.5.0b3 not installing
on XP.  This is at least the second of what will be many similar questions.

> In essence: yes.
>
> Python's support for Windows is outlined in PEP 11:
>
>    https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0011/#microsoft-windows
>
> which establishes that Python drops support for a Windows platform when
> Microsoft does. WinXP (somewhat noisily) finished support last year:
>
>    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/end-support-help

I knew this part.

> while Server 2003 -- more quietly; I had to go and look -- came out of
> extended support this month:
>
>    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle?p1=3198

I was not aware of this.

> Since Python 3.5 will come out after both of those platforms have
> finished support, there's no guarantee that it will run without error on
> those systems.

I think this line in the PEP, "Because of this policy, no further
Windows releases need to be listed in this PEP. " is false economy.
Your research on server 2003 should be recorded. (The presence of a 3.5
Server 2003 buildbot, even though not working, might lead one to the
opposite answer.) Even if users ignore the PEP, people answering
questions (like me) try to use it to get definitive answers.

--
Terry Jan Reedy