[Python-Dev] How far to go with user-friendliness

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Jul 14 16:00:42 CEST 2015

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 11:09:50PM +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> Dima's right that the main defence against this kind of error is
> actually linters and IDEs, but detecting this particular one at
> runtime is harmless, so there's no particular reason *not* to do it
> when it's possible to construct a reasonable rationale for "Why this
> particular typo?" and not all the other possible ways of transposing
> adjacent letters in "assert".

I've read this thread and the bug report and I'm not sure about this
reasonable rationale. It seems like an utterly arbitrary choice to
single out a single typo for special treatment while ignoring other
equivalent typos, equally easy to make and equally difficult to spot.
You even mentioned people with dyslexia yourself. As I understand it,
dyslexics would find assert and assery equally hard to distinguish as
assret versus assert, and t and y are next to each other on the same row
of QWERTY keyboards.

BTW, am I missing something? The issue tracker says that the patch was
accepted and a new "unsafe" keyword argument was added over a year ago,
but that doesn't seem to be documented anywhere here:

https://docs.python.org/3/library/unittest.mock.html

--
Steve