[Python-Dev] Freeze exception for http://bugs.python.org/issue23661 ?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 12:53:50 CEST 2015

On 14 July 2015 at 17:19, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> Nick Coghlan writes:
>
>  > I wonder: should we start putting some of these process details for
>  > the different phases in the release PEPs themselves? Larry sent a good
>  > summary to python-committers for 3.5 a while back, but they'd be
>  > easier to find in the PEPs, and it would also make it clear which
>  > aspects a new RM was keeping, and which they wanted to try doing
>  > differently.
>
> It may be overkill, but my take would be a BCP PEP that summarizes
> consensus best practice as well as option rules for releases, and then
> each release would have its own PEP briefly describing any deviations
> from the BCP, including both "I use variant A" and "I'm experimenting
> with practice Alpha".  The former should be explained in the BCP, the
> rationale for the latter in the release PEP.

That would be the developer's guide, rather than a new PEP:
https://docs.python.org/devguide/devcycle.html

Unfortunately, I forgot that page existed earlier that, otherwise I
would have linked to it in my original reply.

Assuming the release managers agree explicitly referencing those
definitions from the release PEPs would be a good idea, I figure the
actual formatting of the additions would be their call.

As an example though, given Larry's approach of calling out his
experiments as Sphinx notes, it would likely be sufficient to just say
"See the `development lifecycle guide
<https://docs.python.org/devguide/devcycle.html#stages>`__ for
committer expectations during the different development stages".

Cheers,
Nick.