[Python-Dev] cpython: Tighten-up code in the set iterator to use an entry pointer rather than

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Jul 7 14:31:26 CEST 2015

A simple way to address this would have been to CC Raymond on the issue.
But the reply-to header probably makes that hard. Agreed that post-commit
reviews don't really scale to our size. It's hard to teach old dogs new
tricks though. I now realize that my main point, however, was that Raymond
and Serhiy might have sorted this out offline already without either of
them bothering to CC python-dev on the fix, so perhaps the discussion about
our broken process might well have been premature. Certainly I don't think
automatically rolling back commits is something we should start to do
without a bigger overhaul of our process -- which takes time and may well
already be underway.

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 2:25 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Jul 2015 14:14:49 +0200
> Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> > FYI, do we have any indication that Raymond even read the comment? IIRC
> he
> > doesn't regularly read python-dev. I also don't think code review
> comments
> > ought to go to python-dev; the commiters list would seem more
> appropriate?
>
> Well, do we have to keep a record of what ML each developer reads? Or
> is post-commit review to be faced each times with dilemmas such as the
> present: """does this core developer really read that mailing-list? should
> email him/her privately, or is that too intrusive? what about writing
> to that other mailing-list? if they don't answer, did they at least see
> the message amongst the other threads?"""
>
> (this is a nice thing with pre-commit review: you can usually be sure
> the developer will read your comments, unless there's something
> seriously wrong with the setup)
>
> > (Though it looks like python-checkins is configured to direct replies to
> > python-dev. Maybe we need to revisit that?)
>
> My own preference would be to keep it that way. If python-dev becomes
> annoying to read, then probably python-checkins isn't very exciting
> either ;-)
> (just MHO, of course)
>
> Regards
>
> Antoine.