[Python-Dev] Why co_names? Wouldn't be simpler to just use co_consts?

Andrea Griffini agriff at tin.it
Wed Jan 28 19:53:20 CET 2015

The names stored in op_names are totally unrelated as they can be attribute
names, module names, global names; you basically don't know much about them
unless you also inspect the actual bytecode using them (and the same name
can be used in completely different ways in different parts of the same
code object). In my opinion introspection code telling me that the name
`foo` is used but not knowing if it's about a global, a module name or an
attribute name is not going to be that useful, on the other hand if you do
inspect the bytecode then using co_consts doesn't make things more
complicate.

Anyway I was just curious to know if there was any technical reason (that I
couldn't see) or if it was more a style/historic reason.

Thank you for the clarification