[Python-Dev] Pydoc Replacement for Python's help()?

Cyd Haselton chaselton at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 13:31:44 CET 2015

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 2:26 PM, Skip Montanaro
<skip.montanaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Cyd Haselton <chaselton at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Unfortunately, as I quickly found out,
>> Python's built-in help function requires tkinter, which requires
>> tcl/tk.
>
> I'm a little confused. Are you using some sort of freeze system which
> is deciding Tkinter is required? I use help() all the time from the
> interpreter prompt and never get a GUI. IMO you should be able to
> strip out the gui() function (or even just comment out the Tkinter
> import).
>
> Skip

I'm not using a freeze system, just the python I built from sources. I
may have misread the pydoc and help() documentation online.

Additionally it appears as though some modules were not built with the
correct links to -lc -ldl, even though I added them as dependencies in
Setup and setup.py, as well as in the appropriate env variables.
Importing string, tokenize, operator, inspect...and probably others I
haven't tested...throw the 'undefined reference to dlopen' error.

Looks like I'll need to run make distclean and start over.  Is there
documentation on which modules are built where and how and with which
libraries they are linked?