[Python-Dev] Any grammar experts?

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 19:25:10 CET 2015

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 12:12 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> I also think the multiple-starargs function calls are completely
> overboard:
>
>   f(**someargs, **someotherargs)
>
> (I might add I've never felt any need for those)

This makes sense to me, but I wonder how you resolve the case of
overlapping keys.

I will note that pylint complains about any use of *args or **kwds
(calling it "magic"), which seems a bit overboard to me. There's
nothing magic in the current implementation as far as I can see. I
wonder if it makes sense for pylint to allow simple use (basically,
the status quo) to fly by silently, but start to chirp when people use
the facility in all its baroque glory as enabled by the PEP.

Skip