[Python-Dev] Can Python Be Built Without Distutils

Cyd Haselton chaselton at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 14:06:42 CET 2015

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 12:48 PM, Matthias Klose <doko at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 01/23/2015 06:30 PM, Cyd Haselton wrote:
>> Related to my earlier question regarding building Python on Android
>> and an undefined reference to dlopen error...I have the following
>> question:  Is it possible to build and install Python without having
>> to build and install...or use...distutils?
>>
>> Some background:
>> I can build the python interpreter on my device, and I can build a
>> bunch of modules.  The problem appears when make reaches the part
>> where setup.py is used to build and import modules...specifically when
>> setup.py attempts to import distutils.core.
>
> you can do this using Setup.local. This works for me building additional
> extensions as builtins.  It might require some tweaking to build everything.
> Otoh, I would like to get rid off the setup.py altogether (/me ducks ...).
>
>   Matthias

Regarding previous question, build completes when using Setup, and
changing *shared* to *static* but 'make install' fails.

If I run 'make altbininstall' or 'make altmaninstall' thst
works...actually they all work except any of the libinstall targets,
which is probably because in the makefile all lib install targets run
setup.py.  Is there a special way to install python without setup.py