[Python-Dev] How do I ensure that my code is being executed?

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 15:53:04 CET 2015

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Neil Girdhar <mistersheik at gmail.com> wrote:

> I get error:
>
> TypeError: init_builtin() takes exactly 1 argument (0 given)
>
> The only source file that can generate that error is Modules/_ctypes/_ctypes.c, but when I make changes to that file such as:
>
>         PyErr_Format(PyExc_TypeError,
>                      "call takes exactly %d arguments XYZABC (%zd given)",
>                      inargs_index, actual_args);
>
> I do not see any difference after make clean and a full rebuild.  How is this possible?  I need to debug the arguments passed.

Neil,

I'm a little bit confused. Why are you modifying the Python
interpreter to see if your code (presumably not part of the Python
interpreter) is being executed? I will take a stab at your question
though, and suggest you aren't actually running the interpreter you
just built.

Can you provide some more context for your question?

One last thing. Are you working on Python itself
(python-dev at python.org is the right place to ask questions) or using
Python to develop an application (python-dev is not the right place,
try python-list at python.org)?

Skip