[Python-Dev] Compile Python on Windows (OpenSSL)

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pydev at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 23:26:09 CET 2015

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 3:30 PM, Victor Stinner
<victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed the SP1 for Visual Studio 2010, and it looks like that it
> broke my Windows SDK 7.1 (setenv was missing, cl.exe was also
> missing). I uninstalled the SDK 7.1, and then I saw that a patch is
> required to use Windows SDK 7.1 with Visual Studio 2010 SP1. Ah. Too
> late.

Doing a 'repair' on VS2010 might get the SDK back for you; I'm not
sure.  I believe this link should be what's needed to fix the SDK
after installing VS2010SP1:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4422

> I don't understand the link between the SDK and Visual Studio. There
> are not separated directories?

If I'm not mistaken, Visual Studio uses the SDK for all of its
building and will install its preferred SDK as a dependency.  It can
use other SDKs as well, though.

> And now I cannot find Windows SDK 7.1 anymore. It looks like it
> disappeared from microsoft.com. The SDK 7.1 was released in 2010, so
> it's now quite old, but it worked well!

Web installer:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8279
ISOs:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8442

Extension building in general is still a mess on Windows, I hope the
links above are enough to get you going again!

--
Zach