[Python-Dev] Compile Python on Windows (OpenSSL)

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 00:02:20 CET 2015

> The first line of the section you linked to is "The readme included in
> the solution has more details, especially on what additional software
> is required to build which parts of Python.", and 'readme' is a link
> to the readme on h.p.o. :)

Ok, I didn't read the full section. But we should show the readme link
in bold or maybe in a "seealso" section. Right now, it's easy to miss
this important link.

> Quick Start Guide
> -----------------
>
> 1.  Install Microsoft Visual Studio 2015, any edition.
> 2.  Install Subversion, and make sure 'svn.exe' is on your PATH.
> 3.  Run "build.bat -e" to build Python in 32-bit Release configuration.

Oh wow, it's much simpler that my procedure :-) It worked for me, in a
few minutes I got a working "import ssl". Thanks. I'm now able to test
my asyncio patch on Windows ;-)
http://bugs.python.org/issue22560

(With this patch, it will be possible to use SSL with the proactor
(IOCP) event loop which is more efficient and supports more defaults
than the default selector event loop.)

Note: build.bat is in the PCbuild directory, and the command doesn't
need to be executed in the Visual Studio/Windows SDK shell. It works
in the classical cmd.exe shell.

Victor