[Python-Dev] Compile Python on Windows (OpenSSL)

Steve Dower Steve.Dower at microsoft.com
Tue Jan 13 23:44:05 CET 2015

http://www.visualstudio.com/ is the only website to look at, and it may redirect you to somewhere on microsoft.com. Anywhere else is sketchy.

> Visual Studio 2015 was not released yet :-/

Yes, the timing is a little bit awkward, which is why I'm keen to make sure VS 2010 keeps working for now.

> My VM has only a disk of 40 GB. Only 12 GB are free. I already have VS
> 2008 Express and VS 2010 Express installed. I understood that "Ultimate"
> includes a *lot* of things, not only a C compiler.

I appreciate this, and I'm constantly trying to get a version released that is just the compiler and nothing else. Unfortunately, I'm one lone low-level engineer, and releasing a different package like this is a high-level decision that I have no control over. Because VS 2015 is in preview, the only available version is Ultimate, but when the RC is released I'd expect to be able to choose the more specific versions.

> I found a "free" Visual Studio which is in fact Visual Studio 2013 Community and
> I read that it's not free.

Community Edition is certainly free (as in $0 - if you want to get ideological about "free" then you'll make it very hard for yourself to use any software produced by a business). The only requirement is that you log in with a Microsoft (a.k.a Live.com/Hotmail) account. It's a dumb requirement, but again, this is a high-level decision that I get no say in.

> I sent an email to Brian Curtin to ask to renew my MSDN account. He didn't reply
> yet.

Give him a chance, I'm sure he's just busy :)

> Victor

Cheers,
Steve